Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Great Picture Book Find w/ Printable

I recently stumbled upon a very interesting picture book called The Secret Knowledge of Grown-Ups by David Wisniewski:
The book takes the form of a Top Secret Handbook that shares the 'real' reasons behind all those grown-up rules. It's so much fun to read and the pictures are great! It's definitely worth checking out!!!

To follow up this story, I planned a writing assignment to go with it.  I plan to have my students think of a 'rule' that they constantly hear from grown-ups, and come up with an alternative and creative explanation for that rule. The worksheet below is formatted to match the format of the book.
{Click the pic to share!}

Kids constantly complain about rules (at home and school), and I think they will have a lot of fun coming up with their own bizarre and funny ideas. Plus, it will make a great class book!!!

16 comments:

  1. Looks like a super fun book! I'll be getting it!! Love a good picture book:)

    4th Grade Frolics

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! Will definitely be checking that book out. Thanks for the activity sheet. Looks really "cool" for the older classes! :)


    Baggy Trousers at A Crucial Week In The Life of an NQT

    ReplyDelete
  3. I picked this book up at the library last week and it's sitting in my living room, never having been opened! I was going to use it for my book talk on my blog next week! I was also hoping to use it as a read aloud during the first week of school! Thanks for the printable!

    Rachel
    Go Fourth! With Mrs. Owens

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never read this book, but I'm on my way! I love fun books for word choice and voice!! Thanks for creating the printable...it is perfect!
    ~Kitty
    The Write Handed Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  5. My students in Ramp Up to Literacy had this in their library. They get a kick out of it. Thanks for the printable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like a great book! I love the follow-up writing assignment :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds like such a fun book! I want to find it this weekend!

    http://ashleigh-educationjourney.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great printable! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. New follower! Love your blog!!!!
    How do you embed your files with the picture on the blog like that? I have been googling like crazy!
    -Krista

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this book and had made my own template for the secret file but I like this one better! I also had them create a file folder to put their secret file in out of manila construction paper and a gold brad! It made a great open house item!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do this with my 5th graders!! We also created a Top-Secret/Confidential folder file to conceal their final copy (just for fun). :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. My kids are loving this activity! I can't wait to read their final copies! Love the idea of the folder!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I used this book today. The students LOVED it! Thank you for sharing your ideas :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am very amazed by the data of this weblog and i am glad i experienced a look more than the blog. thank you so much for sharing these kinds of excellent information.
    berkeley transport

    ReplyDelete